Advisorheads Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introductions > Greenhorn Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Financial Advisor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akasword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Financial Advisor
    Posted: Feb/20/2015 at 12:57pm
Hi, I am an independent financial advisor in the southern California area. I have 6 and 63 securities licenses and a CA Insurance license. I have been struggling with getting clients as I am coming out of a career in Real Estate investing and most of my contacts are opposed to financial investing. Any help is much appreciated.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2015 at 1:47pm
You may want to get real securities licenses (7 & 66) so you don't appear to be such a JV team advisor.  
akasword View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akasword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 11:43am
I agree with you, but, unfortunately, I didn't have the choice to do those and the firm will pay if I can meet expectations after 6 months.
missionshooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missionshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 11:59am
What are your "expectations" after 6 months? Production goals ? AUM goals?
City1134 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote City1134 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by missionshooter missionshooter wrote:

What are your "expectations" after 6 months? Production goals ? AUM goals?

Probably a lot of whole life.
Jersey33 View Drop Down
Helado Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jersey33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by helado helado wrote:

You may want to get real securities licenses (7 & 66) so you don't appear to be such a JV team advisor.  

LOL, funny lol
Without struggle there is no progress
akasword View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akasword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2015 at 5:43pm
They did not set any clear expectations. Basically, from what I've seen, if you make it to 6 months, been towards the top of sales, and made enough to pay for your E&O, you'll get a spot. 

Honestly, at this point, I'm looking to find a new firm as this one seems to have the idea that they won't do anything to support you, but, in turn, they will pay a split that is on the higher end. The marketing plan is basically to call the people that you know and hope that works out. 

I think that if I had a sizeable book and already had a series 7, etc., that this would be a good idea, but, as I've been door knocking with the company refusing to replace my business cards (they said that they would, but when they did the order, someone complained because I wasn't doing much business), I am thinking that it's time to find a more supportive firm. 
Jersey33 View Drop Down
Helado Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jersey33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2015 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by akasword akasword wrote:

They did not set any clear expectations. Basically, from what I've seen, if you make it to 6 months, been towards the top of sales, and made enough to pay for your E&O, you'll get a spot. 

Honestly, at this point, I'm looking to find a new firm as this one seems to have the idea that they won't do anything to support you, but, in turn, they will pay a split that is on the higher end. The marketing plan is basically to call the people that you know and hope that works out. 

I think that if I had a sizeable book and already had a series 7, etc., that this would be a good idea, but, as I've been door knocking with the company refusing to replace my business cards (they said that they would, but when they did the order, someone complained because I wasn't doing much business), I am thinking that it's time to find a more supportive firm. 

Since you already have your Series 6 and 63 look for a personal banker role and it will give you time to learn the business. You will get a salary of 40k and bonuses for business your refer and write. Keep in mind you will have to sell credit cards, and banking products but its good experience and if you perform well you will be next in line for them to sponsor you for your series 7 and 66. After that, a seat might open up and you can very well be a financial advisor at the bank.  I would look into Chase, Wells, and regional banks in your area. Good luck. 
Without struggle there is no progress
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic