Advisorheads Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introductions > Greenhorn Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starting with Edward Jones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gannd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting with Edward Jones
    Posted: Apr/27/2018 at 7:52pm
Just got an offer letter for Edward Jones. Really surprised by the MSG as I expected them to come in low but they came in strong. Is it common for them not to have an office picked out for new hires at the time of offer?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2018 at 8:46pm
Yes, that's common.  You have to earn it.
Gannd View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gannd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2018 at 10:33pm
I mean an office at all not my own. I’ve got to work somewhere
missionshooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missionshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2018 at 10:40pm
No, you can work out of your car for the first year buddy. Knocking on doors and meeting people at McDonalds or their kitchen table. That's how it works.

You sit in your office, you will fail.

Knocky Knocky
RickRoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickRoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2018 at 12:13am
Originally posted by missionshooter missionshooter wrote:

No, you can work out of your car for the first year buddy. Knocking on doors and meeting people at McDonalds or their kitchen table. That's how it works.

You sit in your office, you will fail.

Knocky Knocky

Knocky knocky LOL
"Act as if you are the MF bomb..... even if you are one of those snap pops you throw on the ground."
-gotplanning, 2/9/12
Nathan Explosion View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Explosion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2018 at 12:22am
not sure where you live or how your region works....no one in my region starts in there car.   Always a legacy (sharing some form of office space with a vet advisor).  You can fall into an office but you have to prove yourself by doing the job.  Not rocket science....it will really suck but if you are good then you will get by.  
Dead Money View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2018 at 12:48am
And I would stay off of here.  Put your head down and do what you are told.... Seriously, do what they say and if you make it a couple of years come on back.
Fitness1983 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitness1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Dead Money Dead Money wrote:

And I would stay off of here.  Put your head down and do what you are told.... Seriously, do what they say and if you make it a couple of years come on back.

Great advice.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 3:29pm
Says that guy that has been on here since a rookie.

And is still in production.
Spaceman Spiff View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaceman Spiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by helado helado wrote:

Agreed.  As long as you're not on here at 2:30pm (cough...Fitness...cough) when you should be out door knocking, I don't see a problem with it.
I'm not sure Jones has anyone working from their car anymore, no matter what region they're in.  I suppose you could be 50 miles from the closest office where wouldn't make sense to go there every day, but I'm guessing that's really rare these days.    

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitness1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Agreed.  As long as you're not on here at 2:30pm (cough...Fitness...cough) when you should be out door knocking, I don't see a problem with it.
I'm not sure Jones has anyone working from their car anymore, no matter what region they're in.  I suppose you could be 50 miles from the closest office where wouldn't make sense to go there every day, but I'm guessing that's really rare these days.    

Hey now....today is the first time I’ve looked on since March. Hopped on to read some of the thoughts on the DOL.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 4:04pm
Point is, I still believe these forums were the key to my own success. Like Spiff said...don’t be on here during hours you could be prospecting. Don’t let this become a trap.

But the knowledge on here is disgusting.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 4:25pm
I feel like I work with a bunch of idiots since I found this board. You don’t know what you don’t know.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaceman Spiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Fitness1983 Fitness1983 wrote:

Hey now....today is the first time I’ve looked on since March. Hopped on to read some of the thoughts on the DOL.

Just busting your chops.  There were quite a few times back in the old Registered Rep days when I was on that forum when I should have been looking for new clients.   
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaceman Spiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by bc2051 bc2051 wrote:

I feel like I work with a bunch of idiots since I found this board. You don’t know what you don’t know.
It's not just Jones.  There are a lot of idiots out there.  Jones is just more selective about our idiots than other places.  You know, like Harvard selective.  We've got the Harvard version of idiots. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitness1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 6:36pm

Originally posted by Fitness1983 Fitness1983 wrote:

Just busting your chops.  There were quite a few times back in the old Registered Rep days when I was on that forum when I should have been looking for new clients.   

It’s all good. Definitely guilty as charged. I deleted a lot of apps and drastically changed my “phone routine” about mid-March. I was in a massive funk and worst of all didn’t give a fuck. I’ve really made an effort lately to become
Less phone dependent and...I don’t know...actually focus on work when I’m working and actually focus on my family when I’m at home. Radical concept, I realize.
Dead Money View Drop Down
Greenhorns
Greenhorns

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2018 at 11:40am
I was a rookie at Jones when a transfer broker told me about the RR forum.  It was eye opening to say the least.  I learned a lot about the world outside of Jones.  Probably contributed to me leaving....I feel that a rookie ought to just bust ass and not start second guessing everything right off the bat.  Do as your told and get after it for a few years, then look around and decide where you should be and how you want to do it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic