Advisorheads Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Introductions > Greenhorn Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starting soon with EJ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudpotato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2019 at 7:18am
Originally posted by Nathan Explosion Nathan Explosion wrote:

Originally posted by B24 B24 wrote:

Originally posted by bc2051 bc2051 wrote:

His dad trained advisors, but not sure where. His office became the biggest office in 7 years, so something like above.

That was the point of missions post in case anyone missed the humor

Yeah, it's weird about Jones in this way. Anytime I listen to a podcast or read an article about an advisor at other firms or that's independent, they always explain the "backstory"....."Joined my father's firm, he retired, we wanted to grow the business so we did X, Y, and Z". But Jones stories are all the same. "Worked hard, followed the recipe, knocked on doors, sat at kitchen tables, hugged widows, blah, blah, blah".

Yes, there are plenty of stories of hard working "door-knockers" that are 100% true. But in many/most cases of really big producers (especially more recent ones, versus back in the 80's/90's), there is usually a pretty interesting back story. Inherited business, huge GK plan, office takeover, dad was the estate planning attorney in town that sent me all his clients, maybe you just plain got lucky for whatever reason. And NONE of those reasons are "bad" or should be looked down upon. But when you consistently lie and are disingenuous about how you developed business, it's laughable.

I do believe to an extent this is changing.  Most newbies are getting assets or taking over an office at some level.  You will hear old school region or home office soldiers that will puff out their chest.  In our area we are really trying to recruit successful professionals that actually have a clue.  We are looking to bring those types in with the thought of asset sharing.  Others are literally too dumb to know any better.  honestly the Wolfs of the world are becoming extremely rare.  If someone cant bring something else to the door knocking equation such as professional or social network then I wish them luck.  

I think it is changing - but by God if you are new new you gotta tell the world! Or pretend you were new new.

The worst part I have seen is that the leaders here all took over big offices except for the RL. It’s hard to keep a straight face when the number 2 guy took over a RL’s book all Advisory over $150 million.

I’m female. I never used a golf ball... but they all told me to get one. No. I also don’t wear my green tag all over town screaming look at me. I’m not new new either so I have no reason to even say how o did it bc If I didn’t build it myself, I’m just like the guys I mentioned above. Hey, I’ll never brag about it.

I have converted door knocks to clients, and I do love them a lot. Wish I could get out there and do more of it, but it’s risky for a female and I can’t carry.

Edited by spudpotato - Oct/07/2019 at 7:20am
WarPig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarPig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2024 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by spudpotato spudpotato wrote:

His dad trained advisors, but not sure where. His office became the biggest office in 7 years, so something like above.

Yeah, it's weird about Jones in this way. Anytime I listen to a podcast or read an article about an advisor at other firms or that's independent, they always explain the "backstory"....."Joined my father's firm, he retired, we wanted to grow the business so we did X, Y, and Z". But Jones stories are all the same. "Worked hard, followed the recipe, knocked on doors, sat at kitchen tables, hugged widows, blah, blah, blah".

Yes, there are plenty of stories of hard working "door-knockers" that are 100% true. But in many/most cases of really big producers (especially more recent ones, versus back in the 80's/90's), there is usually a pretty interesting back story. Inherited business, huge GK plan, office takeover, dad was the estate planning attorney in town that sent me all his clients, maybe you just plain got lucky for whatever reason. And NONE of those reasons are "bad" or should be looked down upon. But when you consistently lie and are disingenuous about how you developed business, it's laughable.

I do believe to an extent this is changing.  Most newbies are getting assets or taking over an office at some level.  You will hear old school region or home office soldiers that will puff out their chest.  In our area we are really trying to recruit successful professionals that actually have a clue.  We are looking to bring those types in with the thought of asset sharing.  Others are literally too dumb to know any better.  honestly the Wolfs of the world are becoming extremely rare.  If someone cant bring something else to the door knocking equation such as professional or social network then I wish them luck.  

I think it is changing - but by God if you are new new you gotta tell the world! Or pretend you were new new.

The worst part I have seen is that the leaders here all took over big offices except for the RL. It’s hard to keep a straight face when the number 2 guy took over a RL’s book all Advisory over $150 million.

I’m female. I never used a golf ball... but they all told me to get one. No. I also don’t wear my green tag all over town screaming look at me. I’m not new new either so I have no reason to even say how o did it bc If I didn’t build it myself, I’m just like the guys I mentioned above. Hey, I’ll never brag about it.

I have converted door knocks to clients, and I do love them a lot. Wish I could get out there and do more of it, but it’s risky for a female and I can’t carry.

Wink
spudpotato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudpotato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2024 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by WarPig WarPig wrote:

Originally posted by spudpotato spudpotato wrote:

Wink

What’s your point? Is it important to you to try to find something through the archives?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic